Jacksonport State Park

In the 1800’s steamboats made Jacksonport a thriving river port. During the Civil War, the town was occupied by both Confederate and Union forces because of its crucial locale. Jacksonport became county seat in 1854, and construction of a stately two story brick courthouse began in 1869. The town began to decline in the 1880’s when bypassed by the railroad. The county seat was moved in 1891 to nearby Newport, and Jackonport’s stores, wharves and saloons soon vanished. Today exhibits in the park’s 1872 courthouse and programs by park interpreters throughout the year share the store of this historic river port and the ecology of the region. Admission to the courthouse museum is free.

Jacksonport State Park Web Site

Contact

205 Avenue Street
Newport, AR 72112
jacksonport@arkansas.com
870-523-2143